A pet owner called us in a panic after their dog ate a chocolate-covered gummy bear.
Since the ingredients weren’t listed on the bag or on the manufacturer’s website, we couldn’t determine whether the gummy bear was sugar-free, potentially containing xylitol.
Xylitol is deadly to dogs, even in tiny quantities.
After a dog eats a product containing xylitol, their blood sugar takes an immediate and irreversible dive, causing them to seizure and die. Treatment is rarely effective.
One stick of chewed sugar-free gum containing xylitol can kill a large dog – it’s that toxic.
Xylitol is a common ingredient in:
- sugar-free foods
- peanut butter
- baked goods
- chewing gum
- laxatives and other human medications
Sorbitol can affect some dogs, but seems to be less toxic in most.
Erithritol, maltilol, stevia, and aspartame are not toxic to dogs.
What to do if you think your dog was poisoned
Call your regular veterinarian or local veterinary emergency hospital immediately. The sooner we can start appropriate treatment, the better.
Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Hotline: (888) 426-4435 (fee-based).
Or call the Pet Poison Helpline (fee-based).
Learn more about dog hazards and toxins
This article on our blog warns you about 19 household items that can poison your dog
Download a free mobile app from the Animal Poison Control Center that will:
- help you identify over 300 potential hazards and toxins found in and around the home
- provide crucial information about the severity of the problem
- suggest critical next steps