When you notice your dog constantly scratching and licking, it could be a result of itching (also called pruritis).
Because itching can cause injury, you’ll want to schedule an appointment with us so we can determine the underlying cause of your dog’s itch and take the correct steps to treat it.
Itching: A characteristic of many possible skin conditions:
- Allergies (environmental, food, or both)
- Dry skin
- Fleas, mites, lice, and other external parasites
- Anxiety or stress
- Bacterial or fungal infections
- Skin cancer
What to do when you notice excessive scratching or licking
Start a log that details the following:
- What behaviors is my dog exhibiting?
- When did I first notice the behavior?
- How has it progressed?
- Are other pets in my household affected? Am I affected?
We’ll conduct a thorough physical examination of your dog, looking at both the skin and considering the possibility of parasites and infectious conditions.
When you bring your dog in, we’ll conduct a thorough physical examination, looking at both the skin and considering the possibility of parasites and infectious conditions.
The good news
We have some fantastic new cutting-edge medications for allergic dogs and new chewable parasite preventives.