National Craft for Your Local Shelters Day is Saturday, July 21, 2018. What, exactly, does that mean?
It’s a low-cost, DIY way for you to give a pet in need a gift from the heart, according to Erika Lindquist, who established the observance in 2012.
Erika, who lives in Seattle, blogs at SewDoggyStyle.com. For the past six years, Erika and friends have called on pet lovers and crafters to give back to their local shelters in a crafty way by making toys, vests, beds, and “sew” much more.
How to get involved
- Before you start dreaming up craft ideas, contact the shelter you’re considering donating to and confirm that they will receive your donation.
- Ask them what items they most need.
- Make a list of the materials for your project. If you need fabric, for example, ask friends and neighbors if they’d be willing to donate remnants.
- Organize a craft night with your friends and neighbors. Set up stations and mass-produce the items, assembly line style.
- When you’re ready to donate your finished items, call your shelter and arrange for a time to bring in the items. Ask if you can take a picture of one of the dogs or cats wearing the item, so you can share it on social media.
How to make 12 items you can donate to your local animal shelter
1. Pet bed
Create these out of old blankets, pillowcases, or fleece. How to make a fleece pet bed
2. Security blanket
Think of this as a de-stressing blanket. It stays with the cat or dog while it’s at the shelter and when it transitions to its new home. The blanket carries the animal’s scent, which comforts it. How to make a no-sew fleece blanket
3. Braided dog rope toy
Make them from old t-shirts or fleece. How to make a fleece rope toy
4. Dog color and leash
Use jacquard ribbon and nylon webbing.
5. Doggy leg warmers
6. Dog bowl feeder
A vintage soda pop crate or wine barrel will do the trick!
7. Hand-painted dog and cat bowls with “adopt me” placemats
8. Dog treats
9. Dog vest
10. Over-the-collar dog bandana
(If you want to make an “Adopt Me” freezer paper stencil, here’s how)
11. Cardboard cat scratcher
12. Crocheted cat toys